Sunday, October 14, 2018

Doctor Who: Second Time Around

Hi there!

Later today we get a second dose of BRAND NEW Doctor Who. It's astonishing that so short a time ago, I was complaining on this blog about the lack of any information about the new series of Doctor Who and here we are, mere hours away from the second episode of the season. 

Earlier this week, the family ventured forth from the Fortress of Ineptitude to go see the series premier, The Woman Who Fell To Earth, for a second time, this time on a movie screen. As much as I enjoyed this episode the first time, I enjoyed it more on the next go-round.  

1) No commercials. I am grateful that BBC America provides an outlet for Doctor Who here in the United States but the commercial interruptions are such a nuisance. Doctor Who, being made for the BBC, is not made for commercials. Unlike TV programs that are designed for ad supported platforms where ad breaks are factored into the episode, commercials in Doctor Who are more intrusive.  

2) The show looks like it belongs on a movie screen. The show is employing new camera technology this season which gives the show a certain sheen and scope that's more in keeping with a film.  I thought the show had a better look last Sunday; seeing it on a movie screen, yes, it has a really sharp look about it. 

I wish I could say the screening was well attended but sadly, we were part of a small group, maybe a dozen people. The showing was Thursday night in the aftermath of tropical storm Michael which hit our area rather hard which may have accounted for the sparse attendance.  

There were a few bits I missed the first time around that I caught on the second viewing. For example, while riding in Yaz's police car, the Doctor asks if she can turn on the lights and siren and looks peeved when Yaz says no. Funny bit; can't believe I missed this the first time.   

There were some new behind the scenes features with the cinema show that were fun to see. 

I have this episode on DVR and will likely see it again.  

Up next: the Doctor and the gang are in deep space.Whoops! We'll find out what happens next this evening with the next episode, The Ghost Monument. 

I will have a write up about that tomorrow. 

____________________________________

Barbie is the Doctor!

I think this is kind of cool!  

I want one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DMV Adventure

First of all, sorry about yesterday's posts. My birthday rarely yields a celebratory feeling from me but one mostly of a deeply depresse...