Wednesday, November 25, 2020

My Thanksgiving Plan

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day here in the good ol' US of A and quite frankly things are a mess here in the good ol' US of A.

Our country remains in a fractured political debacle because Donald Trump will not concede his loss to Joe Biden in the 2020 election and continues to asses the Presidential election has been beset by rampant fraud, a charge for there is absolutely zero evidence. 

And our country remains ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic with infection rates for COVID 19 spiraling ever upward along with a consistently growing death count. 

OK, I'm seriously bummed out. How about some Thanksgiving jokes? Maybe that'll help me feel better.


No, that did not make me feel better at all. 

On the subject of not feeling well, as I write this, I am not feeling well. Some gastrointestinal thing has made my tum-tum all wibbly wobbly. 

Let me plug in my symptoms into Web MD and see what it says.

"You have some gastrointestinal thing that has made your tum-tum all wibbly wobbly."

Well, I'll be darned. And people say Web MD is useless.  

I am starting to feel a bit better which is a good thing as tomorrow is Thanksgiving. 

Normally, we abscond from our home here at the Fortress of Ineptitude and venture forth to my brother in law's home where and he and his lovely wife graciously prepare a lavish meal. Because of the current spike in the spread of the coronavirus, we're not doing that.

My wife Andrea was worried about what we're going to do for Thanksgiving. Andrea has a very bad habit of worrying about things that she doesn't need to worry about. I've been working out a menu for our Thanksgiving day here at the Fortress.

I have cooked a turkey before and with very good results. The key to cooking a turkey is patience and lots of moisture. I'm big on olive oil and butter to keep a turkey from drying out. I was considering cooking a turkey this year but only two of us would be eating it. Our daughter Randie does not eat turkey. 

So instead I was planning our Thanksgiving meal around a rotisserie chicken which is not completely out of line with what we have at my brother in law's house. He rarely serves turkey on Thanksgiving, opting instead for grilled chicken and/or a beef roast. 

My meal plan was going to include macaroni and cheese, a broccoli cheddar casserole, sweet potatoes, corn and/or green beans and rolls. It would be a right proper Thanksgiving meal. 

My meal plan also included cranberry sauce. No, not that crap with the actual cranberries mixed with nuts and stuff. No, I was going to get the stuff that comes in a can and comes out of the can still shaped like the can, just as God intended. 

The only thing lacking in my plan was fried dressing. My wife's family has this recipe for fried dressing that is so good, it should be outlawed as a controlled substance. My father in law used to make it and now Andrea's brother has taken on the sacred duty of the fried dressing. 

Sunday morning, Andrea got a text from her brother. While the family gathering was off, he and his wife would still be cooking and we could pick up food "curbside". That includes the fried dressing.

Well, that's nice of them.

But dammit, I had a plan! 

_______________________

I'm going to include a clip from one of the funniest scenes ever on TV. From WKRP In Cincinnati, here is the infamous "WKRP Turkey Drop". 


Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Star Wars Movies

  Today is May 4th which leads to "May the 4th be with you" which makes this Star Wars Day.  So today's Cinema Saturday will b...