Monday, November 30, 2020

Random Musings

 


Here we are at the start of another week. 

I spent most of last week not feeling good with one damn thing or another. One day I spent with a persistent queasiness in my stomach that had me right on the edge of wanting to throw up but it never happened. Whatever the source of my gastro-intestinal distress, it resolved itself in the other direction. 

And if people are not inclined to talk about vomiting, there's even less inclination to discuss other expressions of gastro-intestinal distress. 

The day after that, I was totally ragged out with little to no inclination to do anything. 

On top of that, I had a couple of bad mental health days. Instead of not feeling doing anything, I didn't want to feel like doing anything. I lost a couple of days to sleep and a couple of nights to sleeplessness. 

Then it was back to feeling bad physically, this time with a general achiness and tiredness that left me weary down to the bone. 

The problem with not feeling well in this time of the coronavirus pandemic is living with the fear that anything I might feel bad with is the damn coronavirus.  My wife Andrea was constantly fretful that I had somehow come down with the 'rona. 

It feels like my not uncommon sinus pain to me. Plus I'm just getting old. To be blunt, I never feel good. 

At any given moment of time, something on my body hurts all the time. I'm just old. 

Here's something else about getting old that no one talks about: it itches. 

Son of a bitch, some part of my body somewhere is itchy all the time. Every part of my body can and will itch at any given moment. 

Enough of that all that. What about Thanksgiving? 

Well, we got through it here at the ol' Fortress of Ineptitude. As is our tradition, we put the Christmas tree up on Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve. This was no small feat of engineering. 

In order to facilitate my wife working from home, we had configured part of our living room to office space which otherwise cause the space where we normally put the tree to be filled. We managed to make room for our trust ol' Christmas tree even if we are using the trunks of our cars as temporary storage space. 

The restructuring of our living room to accommodate the presence of a tree like object adorned with lights has been a bit disconcerting to our canine resident Rosie. Our daughter Randie sought to bring Rosie into the Christmas spirit by adorning her with a hat.


Rosie was less than enamored with the hat. She's also keeping her distance from our arboreal interloper.  

As for Thanksgiving itself, I had a menu planned for us to have a full socially distanced holiday meal. But Andrea's brother and his wife graciously offered to cook for Thanksgiving and prepare meals for curbside pick up at their house. 

I am very grateful for their kindness and generosity but I'm not sure this was the best option. I think swinging by to pick up food from their house just underscored the unusual isolation of the holiday. I think for the three of us, actually preparing food in our home here in the Fortress of Ineptitude might have been better for us.  

We did make dessert here. At our daughter Randie's request, Andrea made her famous cherry cream cheese pie. Randie really loves this dessert. 

Except... she doesn't like cherries. 

She likes the juice of the cherries as they suffuse the cream cheese but the actual cherries? Eh, not so much. She picks the cherries off. 

Is it possible we could make Andrea's famous cherry cream cheese pie but with a different fruit? 

Randie says no. She prefers the pie experience with cherries even if she does not prefer the cherries. 

Coming up on the blog thing tomorrow, it's the Tuesday TV Touchbase as we continue to watch the Mandalorian and I wrap up the 4th season of Fargo. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Star Wars Movies

  Today is May 4th which leads to "May the 4th be with you" which makes this Star Wars Day.  So today's Cinema Saturday will b...