Sunday, August 11, 2019

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

So the fam headed out from the Fortress of Ineptitude on Saturday afternoon to see Dora and the Lost City of Gold

Willingly.

When my daughter Randie was a toddler, she watched Dora the Explorer and was happy to receive any number of Dora toys. Dora was a very formative part of Randie's early childhood. 

I would say that normally Randie isn't prone to sentimentality, at least not openly. But as the days count down to Randie's exit from the Fortress of Ineptitude to go away to college, I think she has been feeling a bit nostalgic for some parts of her childhood. 

So there we were in a darkened theater on a summer afternoon to watch Dora and the Lost City of Gold. 

Let me say a fun time was had by all. This movie is light on its feet with adventure, heart and humor with some knowing winks towards its animated source material.  

The highlight of Dora and the Lost City of Gold is the performance of Isabela Moner has 17 year old Dora, still retaining the energetic spirit and sunny optimism of her younger explorer days even as she is forced to deal with an environment more treacherous than the jungle: high school in the big city. Isabela is perfectly wonderful as Dora.  

There was to be something good about a movie that has Randie and I dancing to the closing credit music as we exited the theater. 

Dora and the Lost City of Gold can be at times kind of silly and has some twisted logic that may not hold up under scrutiny but who cares? Over all, it holds up as a fun time and what more can we ask for.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...