So farewell and God speed, Alan Rickman. If I may borrow a line from one of your most delightful films, Galaxy Quest:
"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan,
you will be remembered."
And now, the usual stupidity...
Hi there! Welcome to I’m So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the favoritest blog of all the stars in Tinseltown. I’m Dave-El and where the hell did all this tinsel come from?
- The magic time travelling dolphin from SpongeBob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water
- Bryce Dallas Howard's shoes from Jurassic World
*(That's what she said!)
- Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
- Matt Damon, The Martian
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
- Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
There were a lot of 16 year old girls totally crushing on Leo back in the '90's and they were pissed off when he was snubbed by the Oscars for his role in Titanic. Well, those 16 year old girls are now women in their mid-thirties and they are still pissed off about that. The Academy owes them, damn it, owes then Leonardo DiCaprio clutching a gold Oscar statuette for being the bestest actor ever!
So this year, The Revenant is DiCaprio’s Training Day. Training Day was a standard good copy/bad cop story that was a bit above average. It was not a bad movie but it wasn't Denzel Washington’s best film. But it was good enough and dammit, the Academy was going to give Denzel Washington an Oscar RIGHT NOW!
This year, it’s Leo’s turn to get the Denzel.
- Cate Blanchett, Carol
- Brie Larson, Room
- Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
- Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
- Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
*One thing that might hurt Brie Larson's chances: will people confuse Room with
The Room? Room is reportedly a very good movie while The Room is something with pictures and sounds.
- Christian Bale, The Big Short
- Tom Hardy, The Revenant
- Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
- Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
- Sylvester Stallone, Creed
- Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
- Rooney Mara, Carol
- Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
- Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
- Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
Fine, I’ll pick something: Mark Ruffalo (because he plays the Hulk) and Kate Winslet (I've seen her boobs. Well, so has everyone).
- The Big Short, Charles Randolph and Adam McKay
- Brooklyn, Nick Hornby
- Carol, Phyllis Nagy
- The Martian, Drew Goddard
- Room, Emma Donoghue
- Bridge of Spies, Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
- Ex Machina, Alex Garland
- Inside Out, Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley; Original story by Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen
- Spotlight, Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy
- Straight Outta Compton, Screenplay by Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff; Story by S. Leigh Savidge, Alan Wenkus and Andrea Berloff
I would really, really, REALLY love to see Inside Out take this award. Animation is relegated to its two animation categories when there is just as much sweat and tears that goes into an animated movie as a live action and nowhere is that more true than in the screenplay.
But we may have some white guilt to contend with here. The nominees are whiter than a bag of marshmallows in a snowstorm. Will Straight Outta Comptom ride that wave of guilt to a screen writing Oscar trophy?
- Adam McKay, The Big Short
- George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
- Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant
- Lenny Abrahamson, Room
- Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
- The Big Short
- Bridge of Spies
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- The Martian
- The Revenant
- Anomalisa, Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson and Rosa Tran
- Boy and the World, Alê Abreu
- Inside Out, Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera
- Shaun the Sheep Movie, Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
- When Marnie Was There, Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura