Saturday, October 22, 2016

A Few Of My Favorite Things... To Say


Yesterday’s post made a reference to a classic Bug Bunny/Daffy Duck bit where Bugs keeps tricking Elmer Fudd over and over again into shooting Daffy Duck. Finally, Daffy has had enough and exclaims, “Shoot me! Shoot me again! I love the smell of burnt feathers and cordite!” It is a quote that I reference in moments of frustration where too many things are happening or the same damn thing keeps happening.
 
Anyway, I thought I would take this opportunity to share…
 
Some Of My Favorite Things… To Say
 
Some of these are quotes from other sources. A few are ones I’ve come up with on my own. All find a way into my regular conversation over nearly 5 decades. 
 
“Ahh! I feel wefweshed!”
 
Uttered by Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles after she has changed from one form fitting sexy outfit from another. I like to say that after I change clothes or after a particularly productive trip to the bathroom.
 
“We’ll cross that bridge when it’s on fire.”
 
This is a derivative of the more common expression, “We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.” I’m not sure when I began using my variation of the bridge being on fire but I think it may have been in high school. Basically, it means not only are we not dealing with the problem until we get to it but then only if there is a matter of some urgency that we’re forced to address it fairly quickly. Sadly, too many things in my life come under this maxim. 
 
“I have an answer; let’s see if they match.”
 
This is in response to someone saying, “I have a question.” The message here is that I will have an answer but I can’t guarantee it will be relevant to your question.
 
“I’ll know more after the autopsy.”
 
Usually an answer I give when someone asks me how I’m feeling, particularly if I very sick and/or very tired. I stole this line from an issue of World’s Finest Comics written by Bob Haney where Superman digs Batman out of a pile of bricks that just fell on him. Yes, this is a funny quip from the Caped Crusader himself back in the mid-1970s. And I still use it today.  Thank you, Bob Haney!
 
“It’s me! Dave!”
 
It’s what I like to say when I call someone. It’s like a catchphrase or something. The studio audience loves it when I say that. (I’m assuming everyone is aware of the studio audience watching our lives for entertainment from an alternate dimension.) The problem with this catch phrase is that with caller ID, everyone knows it’s me, Dave! In fact, some people will jump in with, “Oh, hi, Dave!”. But does that stop me? “It’s me! Dave!” No. No, it does not. 
 
And that’s enough for today. Perhaps I’ll revisit the topic of more of…
 
Some Of My Favorite Things… To Say

___________________________________ 
 
Last week, I had to take a break from my Doctor Who fan fiction but it’s back tomorrow with Episode Three of Cybermania. Hope you drop by.
 
Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Down Time

"Blog bidness"? Uh oh!  It's a blog post about the blog.  That's never good.   I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You wil...