Monday, January 27, 2020

Kobe Bryant and the Whims of Fate


I feel compelled to write something in response to the death of Kobe Bryant.
 
The unexpected death of the former NBA super star, his daughter and other passengers in a helicopter crash Sunday has shocked the nation. 
 
I don’t know a lot about Kobe Bryant. I knew of him, the broad outlines of his career with the Los Angeles Lakers and even some of the controversies of his life. 
 
I had forgotten that Kobe was retired from basketball which shows how little I pay attention to the NBA. The last time I really paid any attention to professional basketball was when Michael Jordan was in his prime.
 
I guess what brings me to this place to reflect on this tragic event is the harsh cold realization about the capricious whims of fate.
 
For Kobe, his daughter and everyone else on that helicopter and for all their loved ones left behind, everything changed in a span of seconds.
 
In mere moments, all the potential for all the days to come were consigned to oblivion. 
 
It’s heartbreaking to think about.
 
It’s a sobering reality to contemplate.
 
There are no guarantees for the future, for tomorrow or even the next minute.
 
No level of wealth, power or notoriety can protect us from fate.
 
I feel sorrow for all the lives lost, for all the days to come that will never arrive and for the loved ones who have to sort through their unimaginable pain of loss and grief.
 
It’s just a lot to think about. It’s too much to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: Woman Haters - The Debut of the Three Stooges

Today's Cinema Sunday post is about a short film that began a big impact on American pop culture.   Debuting on May 5, 1934, exactly 90 ...