Saturday, January 11, 2020

Songs For Saturday #2 ---Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Breeders and Hayley Westenra PLUS: Muppets?!? AND Katy Perry?!?!?

Hi there! 

Welcome to the second week of Songs For Saturday. 

The guiding principle for these posts is there are songs that I (Dave-El) like. It is a collection of music that may give insight to the inner workings of my mind. 

Or not.

They're just cool songs I like. 

Today we have a theme of cover songs.  



So grab your handy-dandy Bat Head Phones. 

Put'em on your head. 

And crank up the volume!  


Let's kick this off with the Red Hot Chili Peppers covering the Ohio Players classic, Love Rollercoaster from the Beavis & Butthead Do America soundtrack.   












Sometimes there are contentious arguments over which is better, the original or the remake. Most musical purists will more than likely default to the original. 

In the case of Love Rollercoaster, I must commit heresy and cite my preference for the Peppers' remake.  The original is a fine song as is and I have no objection to listening to it. But this version by the the Red Hot Chili Peppers has a ragged, rough rock 'n' roll edge that appeals to me more.  

By the way, I have actually seen the movie, Beavis & Butthead Do America. No, not in the theater. I think Andrea and I rented it from Blockbuster.  

Oh God, I'm old!  

Next up is a little ditty called Shocker In Gloomtown by the Breeders. 

When I say "little", it's less than a minute and a half.


.
This is a cover of a song by a group called Guided By Voices. The members of GBV are the dudes lurking about outside in the video. 

I've never heard the GBV version but I really like this take by the Breeders. They rip through this song like they're mad at it, flailing away at their stripped down guitars and that drummer is going to work himself into a stroke if the boy ain't careful. 

In future editions of Songs For Saturday, I hope to present more songs from the Breeders. I am a big fan of their music.

For those who like rock 'n' roll, here's something different.

It's a cover of a classic by Kate Bush. This is Hayley Westenra with "Wuthering Heights".  





In 1978, Kate Bush at age 19 topped the UK Singles Chart for four weeks "Wuthering Heights". It was her first single and this accomplishment made her the first female artist to achieve a UK number one with a self-written song. 

I discovered the music of Kate Bush in the early 1980s while working for my college's radio station. 

A few years ago while randomly surfing through You Tube, I stumbled across the music of Hayley Westenra and specifically this cover of "Wuthering Heights". 

I am a big fan of Hayley Westenra and she will likely be making more appearances here in Songs For Saturday.

To wrap up today's post, here is a cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody....

...by the Muppets?


Yeah sure. Why not?  





And while we're being silly, here's another cover involving a puppet. Katy Perry covers her own "Hot N Cold" with....

Elmo from Sesame Street?


OK, fine. Here's Katy Perry and Elmo! 



The segment was shot but never actually broadcast due to complaints about Ms. Perry's attire. 




Ms. Perry looks fine to me.

But we're supposed to be OK with Elmo being naked? 

What would you say if I told you I prefer this version of "Hot N Cold" to the original? 

That's it for today's Songs For Saturday. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another.


And keep the music alive!  
-------------------------------------
Tomorrow, it's the debut of Cinema Sunday. I look at a trio of movies I like that fall under the theme of "It blowed up real good!" 

On Monday, Doctor Who Is NEW! returns with a review of the latest new episode.

And the day after that is Tuesday TV Touchbase with Stumptown, Young Sheldon, Perfect Harmony and The Good Place. Plus Jeopardy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: Woman Haters - The Debut of the Three Stooges

Today's Cinema Sunday post is about a short film that began a big impact on American pop culture.   Debuting on May 5, 1934, exactly 90 ...