Friday, May 15, 2020

Get Off This Planet, Superboy!

Today is the day that I become officially a not employed person. 

Yesterday, I received a box from my employer with stuff from my desk at the office. I couldn't go into collect my own stuff as the company is still treating the pandemic more seriously than certain alleged political persons.  

I guess it's for real now. When you get a box of stuff from your ex, it's clear the romance is gone.



When I opened the box, the first thing I found was my award for 15 years of service to the company. 

I had to laugh. 

It was a weird, high pitched maniacal laugh, the kind of insane laugh that makes other people say, "Uh oh. The pressure finally got to him."  

I was formally informed of my position being eliminated on April 15th which was the day I was told I could stop working but I would remain employed through May 15th. 

I was getting paid for not doing my job.  

I will for the next few months continue to get paid for not doing my job as part of my severance. Good non-work if you can get it. 

I count myself as fortunate. Yep, I'm out of job but not out of income. The horror stories I've been reading of people trying to apply for unemployment have been very disturbing and disheartening. 

Thankfully, filing for unemployment is not something I have to do in the immediate future. 

For now, though, I am cut off, unmoored from a vital anchor in my life. 

Remember to be good to one another.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...