Friday, May 29, 2020

Pluto Is Too A Planet, Dammit!

Yesterday, I mentioned I was caught up watching classic Doctor Who on Pluto TV. 

What pray tell is Pluto TV? 

It is a free streaming service.  The shows on Pluto TV have ads. 

Which isn't too bad. Unless you don't want to see that Pampers ad with the new born baby. What I've seen, Pampers is the only sponsor on Pluto TV.  

OK, it could be worse. The first time I watched Pluto TV, the primary sponsor appeared to be The Committee To Re-Elect the Fucking Moron.  

Which did not endear Pluto TV to me at the start.  

It is a streaming service filled with lots of inexpensive crap.

And Doctor Who.  

Basically, scrolling through the menu for Pluto TV is like scrolling through your garden variety cable TV guide except with lots of cheap programming.  

Under Binge Watch are channels for specific shows.

There's a channel which plays nothing but episodes of COPS.

And a channel for RuPaul's Drag Race.

And Mystery Science Theater 3000.

And Unsolved Mysteries. 

And the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.  

And This Old House. 

And so forth and so on.

And Doctor Who. 

Basically these TV channels work like regular broadcast TV. You watch whatever episode happens to be on.  

Which is fine by me.  

The problem for streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime is the plethoria of choices can be very overwhelming.  Pluto TV alleviates some of that stress. I can choose to watch Doctor Who at any time of day but the choice of watching the 3rd Doctor or the 4th or so on is one less choice I have to make. Terror of the Autons with Jon Pertwee is on? Then I'm watching Terror of the Autons with Jon Pertwee.  Or is it Peter Davison in Earthshock? Well, I guess I'm watching Earthshock with Peter Davison then.  

Outside of Doctor Who and MST3K, there's not much that has caught my interest.  

I've also found navigating around Pluto TV to be a bit difficult.   

And the channels are not HD. 

But you get what you pay for. And since I don't pay for Pluto TV, I can't complaint to much. And it is a great way to sample the classic Doctor Who episodes of my youth. 

In addition to be a TV streaming service, Pluto is also a planet, I don't care what scientists say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...