Friday, May 22, 2020

Life After Work II: Electric Boogaloo

How are things here at the Fortress of Ineptitude during this time of Life After Work?  


OK, I guess. 

I had a interview with for a contract position yesterday that I think went about 75% well. For most of the interview, I felt I was answering questions well. I was effusive and engaging with the other people on the call. I had some fairly specific answers that were relevant to the discussion when I was pressed for specific. 

It was an excellent 45 minute interview. 

Too bad the interview was for 60 minutes.

For some reason, my effusive nature started to elude me in the last quarter of the phone call.  I struggled for details, for words. The easy going nature that I was easily able to fake in the first 75% of the call was no longer so easy. 

So I may have whiffed that interview. Well, it was good practice and it was nice to have someone to talk to. 

Unsure if this would be a regular phone call or a video chat, I did endeavor to address some neglected grooming over the last five weeks.

On the left is how I appeared as of 9 AM Thursday. I keeping with my status as a L.A.W. person, I was determined to let myself go to hell. 

Let's just see how scraggily I can get my beard to grow. 

I was going for the look of a man who should not be approached without summoning the authorities first.  


The guy on the right is a total dweeb. He tells really awful dad jokes and clearly has no idea how to take a selfie. 

Anyway, it was just a phone call and not a video chat. If my interviewers had been able to see that guy on the right, I think my 75% good call would've dropped to near zero, no matter what I said.

Maybe the guy on the left would've done better? Inspired sympathy? Or fear? "If we don't hire him, he might kill us."  

As much as I didn't necessarily want to be out of work, I've kind of gotten use to my L.A.W. status and I'm in no real hurry to end it. When the money runs out in a few months, I might be more in a panic but for now, it's all good. 

For now, I can stay up as late as I want. I can sleep in as much as I want. All told, it's not a bad existence. 

The whole pandemic lockdown? What, we need to stay away from people? Hell, I've been wanting to do that my whole life! Social isolation? Bring it on, bee-yotch! 

Not having to do any damn work while hanging out in lockdown? You're in my wheelhouse, fools! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...