Friday, May 8, 2020

Life After Work

Today, I am about  week out from my official termination date from my employer of 16+ years. 

My official "no longer work here" date was three weeks ago.

Except for the whole losing a job so late in my life which kind of sucks, the plus side is that I'm getting paid for not working. And my severance package will keep in good shape for a few more months so that's a good thing. 

But I'm not coping with this new reality as well as I hoped. I am struggling to adjust to Life After Work.  



I made a deal with myself that I would still attempt to keep some kind of regular schedule, even if that schedule was nothing more than writing for this blog in the morning and binge watching shit in the afternoon. 

Most of the time, my mornings are lost to sleep. I can't get to sleep at night before 4 AM.

I vowed that even if I had nowhere to go, I would still change into clothes and not lie around in my PJs all day.  I would still bathe regularly.


Suffice to say that has not always worked out.

Depending on the time of day, I can range from absolutely fuck my employer and the horse they rode in on, I don't care that I don't have a job to my God, WHY won't they take me back?!?! 

I am trying to make the best of it. I'm catching up shows I've wanted to watch.  We have a dog now so that requires some mental energy on my part not being directed to my own inner turmoil.

But I need to maximize this time better.

My therapist has told me that my grief and anguish over this turn of events is normal and I should allow myself to feel bad about it when I need to feel bad about it. Just don't take forever with it and don't let it consume me.  We're still early in this process.

So that's life after work. For now.
________________________________

Tomorrow is another edition of Songs For Saturday.

The day after that, Cinema Sunday puts the spotlight on Donald O'Connor and Singin' In the Rain and Francis, the movie about a talking mule.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: The Man Who Knew Too Much

"A" is for April. And "A" is for Alfred.   As in Alfred Hitchcock. As April draws to a close, Cinema Sunday's Alfred...