Wednesday, September 4, 2013

STRANGE(er) ADVENTURES#14


Hi, Dave-El here and welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You.

Today is Wednesday and that usually means another amusing insufferable installment of Strange(er) Adventures, the really weird thing where I mess around with the covers to DC Comics' classic science fiction series.

As noted here before, I have been tending towards covers with gorillas and resorting to lame jokes about bananas.

But not today.

Now for something completely different.


 
Click here for the original cover to Strange Adventures#110 by Gil Kane & Jack Adler

 

Is it OK if I really miss the gorillas and the banana jokes?

To be honest, the Terry Gilliam animated interstitials were my least favorite part of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I regarded these segments as a wacked out necessary evil to get to the really funny bits.

My all time favorite Monty Python sketch: The Spanish Inquisition. I've incorporated elements of this classic sketch in this Doctor Who story and in this commercial for American Glory. The 2nd segment of the sketch was immediately followed by an animated piece where someone keeps saying "I confess" over and over while each time, the chair keeps being pulled out from under that person. When I was younger, I didn't really get what was supposed to be funny about that. Now that's I'm older with a wiser, more seasoned sensibility and a deeper appreciation for the nuances of art, I still don't get it. Perhaps Seth McFarlane gets it.

There is ONE Terry Gilliam piece that sticks with me. It was some bizarre bit about a giant hedgehog going about London looking for someone named "Dinsdale". The hedgehog's head would pop around buildings and utter in a loud, scratchy voice, "DINSDALE!". I used to actually think about this nonsense everytime I heard Marketplace on public radio and there was a story from a reporter name Dinsdale.*

*It could've been DIMsdale but I don't feel like researching that.

"DINSDALE!"

Really, I do miss the gorillas.



Click here for the original Gil Kane cover from Strange Adventures#108.


Oh, I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

Until next time, be good to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: The Man Who Knew Too Much

"A" is for April. And "A" is for Alfred.   As in Alfred Hitchcock. As April draws to a close, Cinema Sunday's Alfred...