Sunday, April 24, 2016

Doctor Who: A New Companion (And It's My Birthday!)

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, a blog made up of ideas, words and cake frosting. I'm Dave-El and I'm old enough to know better but not old enough to stop making a damn fool of myself. 

Today is Sunday which when I post my usual Doctor Who entry here on the blog thing. But today is April 24th which is my birthday. Yes, it's time to celebrate another year of successfully failing to die. 

Whoa! That seems harsh. 

Sorry, sometimes I get cranky around birthdays. 

And it also doesn't help that I'm fighting a cold. Which I seem to always get around my birthday. 

I need something to cheer me up.  

Anyway, just in time for my birthday, the fine people at the BBC and the production offices of Doctor Who have decided to celebrate the occasion with the release of some long awaited news: the identity of the new companion joining Peter Capaldi's Doctor in the TARDIS.  

Saturday, we found out Pearl Mackie will be the new companion accompanying the Doctor on his adventures through time and space. 

And this news was made known in rather dynamic fashion in the form a video featuring the Doctor and his new travelling buddy on the run from a Dalek attack.   




Pearl's companion is named Bill which I'm sure is short for something ludicrously long. Or maybe the Doctor just can't be bothered to remember her actual name and just takes to calling her Bill.  

So who is this Pearl Mackie person? Well, don't ask Wikipedia. As I'm writing this, Pearl does not appear to have a Wiki page. (By the time this posts, I'm sure that'll be fixed.) 

But here's what I know from other sources: 

  • Pearl is fluent in French and Spanish without the help of a TARDIS telepathic translation matrix.
  • Pearl is a musician. Maybe Bill will also be musically inclined and we can have the Doctor in a rock 'n' roll jam with this new traveller in the TARDIS. 
  • Pearl had a small role in the long running soap Doctors. Mostly she's known for live theater with roles in The Crucible, The Comedy Of Errors and, currently, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the National Theatre in London.



About the character of Bill, this is what Pearl had to say: "Reading the script at the audition I thought Bill was wicked. Fantastically written, cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in - I can't wait to bring her to life, and to see how she develops through the series."

So a warm Whovian welcome to Pearl Mackie as the newest member of the TARDIS crew. We can't wait to see you in all new action and adventure with the Doctor.  




_______________________________

Just wanted to share this wee bit of Doctor Who stuff. At a convention last weekend, David Tennant took a moment to dress as the Doctor. 

But no, not HIS Doctor. 

No, David opted to go with this.




Yep, David Tennant as the 12th Doctor. Our little Davey is still a fan boy at heart, isn't he?

_______________________________

Next week in this space, it begins: a new fan-fiction script from your truly. 

The Doctor is in pursuit of a dangerous alien menace, microscopic but a danger to worlds beyond number. A young boy named Toby Parker encounters this menace, an encounter that cannot be survived. 

But survive it he does and it presents the Doctor with a mystery that will take a lifetime to investigate. It all begins here next week with Episode One: Lifetime Companion

Meanwhile a new blog on something or another is coming up tomorrow. Until then, remember to be good to one another.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Ocean's Eight

Today marks the end of a Cinema Saturday series of posts that began in January.  Today is the 4th post covering the Ocean's trilogy. The...