Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Thing Meat Loaf Won't Do

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, a meat loaf blog in a sirloin steak internet. I'm Dave-El and I'll write anything for this blog but I won't...well, I'm not sure what I won't do. I really should sit down and work up some standards. Until I do, just assume there may be somethings I won't do for this blog but I am willing to negotiate. 



Where was I? Oh, yeah...



Back in the 1970s, a lot of people started listening to Meat Loaf.  Now I know a lot of young people in the current generation believe that everyone back in the 1970s was strung out on everything from marijuana to cocaine and so you're not surprised to hear your parents and grandparents of that era were listening to a tomato based ground beef dish.


I'm not saying that never ever happened (it was, after all, the 1970s) but in this case, the Meat Loaf in question is not a dinner entrée but a singer. A large, sweaty singer who suggested an actual meat loaf in human form.

Meat Loaf had a powerful voice and approached hard rock music with an over the top operatic style. Mr. Loaf (sorry, I don't know him well enough to just call him "Meat") put out an album called Bat Out Of Hell, a collaboration with songwriter Jim Steinman whose own inclinations towards operatic bombast perfectly matched the singer's own dramatic style.

Subsequent releases from Meat Loaf were not as well received as the singer descended into self-caricature. Then Meat Loaf reunited with Jim Steinman to produce a new collaboration, a pairing of singer and songwriter that would restore Meat Loaf to his former glory. After much painstaking thought and planning, the title of this new project was revealed as...

Bat Out Of Hell 2: Back Into Hell

Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell

Whoa! Gets me right here. 

From that album came a heart wrenching epic love ballad called "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)."


Here is a sample of the lyrics. 


And I would do anything for love
I'd run right into hell and back

I would do anything for love

I'd never lie to you and that's a fact
But I'll never forget the way you feel right now,
Oh no, no way
And I would do anything for love, but I won't do that
No, I won't do that



Anything for love
Oh, I would do anything for love

I would do anything for love, but I won't do that

No, I won't do that


Click here for the all the lyrics.  

You would of course wonder what exactly is the "that" that Meat Loaf "won't do". This is a topic that is not immediately addressed in the song itself so it has led to endless speculation such as during this recently trending hashtag on Twitter,

Listed below are my contributions towards this topic of



  1. See The Revenant. (He's still pissed he lost the supporting role to that damn bear!)
  2. Pilates
  3. Ironing
  4. The nae nae dance
  5. Turn off his left turn signal
  6. The electric slide
  7. Have any pudding if he doesn't eat his meat.
  8. Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight
  9. Ask directions
  10. Pass the dutchie to the left hand side
  11. Buy the extended warranty
  12. Play the  hashtag game on Twitter.
Hey, here are a couple of coincidental connections for today's post to yesterday's Phantom of the Opera post

  • Meatloaf's video for "I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't Do That)" is based on The Phantom of the Opera as well as Beauty and the Beast.
  • Composer Andrew Lloyd Webber originally approached Meat Loaf's songwriter Jim Steinman to be the lyricist for Webber's musical version of The Phantom of the Opera 
And that's a wrap on today's post about Meat Loaf. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm feeling hungry for some reason.

Tomorrow marks the return of Oddball Super Heroes as I take a look at some super heroes with the word "red" in their name. And the day after that, the return of the weekly diatribe against that lump of egg custard in the form of a man running for President, Ted Cruz

Oh, for any Whovians out there, yes, I know the cast of the Doctor Who spinoff Class has been announced. I will be taking a look at that in this Sunday's weekly Doctor Who post. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

Andrea and I finished up the documentary series Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV   .  The 5 episode series chronicles the lives of chi...