Friday, April 15, 2016

Rejected Tax Deductions

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, a blog not accepted by the IRS as a tax deduction. I'm Dave-El and I may need the number for a good tax attorney.

Well, today is  April 15th which is typically the deadline here in the United States for filing our income taxes. I'm not sure how this came about but this year, we have until the 18th which is Monday. So that means 3 more days to put off doing our taxes and yet another reason to hate Mondays.

As I've paid down the mortgage on my home, I'm getting less of a break on my home loan interest which means smaller refunds. In fact, I have reached the point where I may have to start owing taxes now unless I can come up with some other deductions.

After some research and a little trial and error, I have at least narrowed down what deductions I should NOT take on my taxes.  These are ideas I shared on Twitter when the hashtag  was trending a few weeks ago. 
So these are things you should NOT count as a deduction on your income taxes. Here we go!  
  1. Netflix account as education expense 
  2. Morning coffee as a medical expense (Even though my consumption of caffeine saves the lives of those around me!)   
  3. At least 1/3 of my employee income since 1/3 of my day is spent taking a nap under my desk  
  4. Claiming deduction as a widower (My wife objected to that one; she can be so damn picky about things!)    
  5. Counting my mom's cat as elder care expense  
  6. The purchase of my daughter's smart phone as a child care expense    
  7. 10 bottles of whiskey as deductible medical costs    
  8. Twitter hashtags as business expense 
  9. My purchase of a Make America Great Again hat as a charitable expense     
  10. Listing the voices in my head as dependents

And there you go. I hope that is of some assistance to you as you go about filing your taxes.

I'll be back with another post tomorrow. Until then, remember to be good to one another.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Ocean's Eight

Today marks the end of a Cinema Saturday series of posts that began in January.  Today is the 4th post covering the Ocean's trilogy. The...