Sunday, August 26, 2018

Pet Peeve: Restaurants


I couple of weeks ago, my wife Andrea, daughter Randie and I sat down for lunch at a steak restaurant where the music coming over the speakers was REALLY, REALLY LOUD!!!!!

Because it was a steak place, the songs were country music. I'm OK with country music. I don't listen to it as a matter of course but when exposed to it, I don't shrink and shrivel like a vampire exposed to sunlight.

I do object to any music that is REALLY, REALLY LOUD!!!!!  Especially when I'm trying to eat. 

 

On this particular day in this particular steak place, it seemed that every other song was a plaintive entreaty by a woman singer  PLEADING AND BEGGING to save the UNDYING LOVE for her man who is apparently COMPLETELY DEAF!!!

Or declaring her defiance that she will not be DESTROYED AND SHATTERED by the betrayal of her love by this cheating scoundrel who is also apparently COMPLETELY DEAF!!!

 

Meanwhile, the male singers proclaimed their UNDYING LOVE or their refusal to be DESTROYED AND SHATTERED by the betrayal of their love for women who are apparently standing VERY, VERY FAR AWAY OVER THERE SOMEWHERE  OVER ON THE OTHERSIDE OF A MAJOR  AIRPORT!!!

Or their declarations to DRINK AND BOOGY ALL NIGHT LONG AT THE HONKY TONK located  next to VERY LARGE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT!!!!  

 

OK, I’m not here to complain about the tropes of country music. The music could be in any genre to still prompt my complaint of the day:

WHY DOES MUSIC IN RESTAURANTS HAVE TO  BE SO DAMN LOUD?!?!

 

Last week, Randie and I met for lunch. With her out of school for the summer, it seems like a fun little diversion for us to meet up for lunch once a week or so. It seems like a grown up thing to do. Anyway, last week we has lunch at an Italian place and we were both struck how easy it was to hear each other. Randie didn’t want to talk for fear of being overheard by other diners which is not something we normally have to worry about. Given the loudness of the restaurants we go to, it’s a miracle we can overhear ourselves. In this case, however, it was very disconcerting to  be able to speak without having to shout over a cacophonic din. There was music playing  but it was definitely in the background. It was very relaxing, very conducive to civilized discussion and calm digestion.  Nothing gets my stomach in knots like eating in a loud environment. 

 

The thing is loud music blaring over speakers seems to be the norm in restaurants whether its fast food or sit down table service. I think the goal is to get the customers fed, then get ‘em out quickly to bring in the net herd of cattle to gaze. 

 

Another pet peeve regarding restaurants is the price of drinks. I’m not talking about specialty drinks or alcoholic beverages. No, I'm talking just plain tea, soda or lemonade.  Andrea and I had lunch together recently. The occasion for this lunch date was Andrea’s early extrication from jury duty. So we went out to lunch at this nice little bistro we like but don’t get to go to a lot. She had lemonade and I had iced tea (sweetened of course as mandated in the Bible). When I got the check, I noticed the price for our drinks were $3.29 each. $3.29 for tea and lemonade? Really? 

 

The thing is that I’ve run into this beverage inflation at other restaurants. A glass of tea that used to set me back maybe $1.50 is running a buck or so more than that now. What’s up with that?

 

In case you’re wondering, the music at the bistro was kind of loud but it had competition.  

 

Another restaurant pet peeve: other people who think they’re at home. You’re not at home; you’re in a public place with other people. Really, whatever the hell you’re laughing at can’t possibly be that funny. 

 

Between loud music, overpriced tea and obnoxious people, why do I even eat out?

 

I really don’t like to cook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

News of the World: Storms and War and Other Things

Over the weekend, really bad weather hit the mid west United States with tornadoes.  A LOT of tornadoes. And VERY BIG tornadoes.  One really...