Sunday, August 12, 2018

Doctor Who: Keeping Secrets II



As we posted here last week,  new showrunner Chris Chibnall is really big on maintaining  secrecy around the production of Doctor Who Series 11. No spoilers from this guy. 

But despite the massive cone of silence kept over series 11, the production team was hit by a leak.  Last week, an image surfaced of the new TARDIS console room.

The new TARDIS set can be seen in full in the leaked pictured and features crystalline elements and hexagonal shapes as seen in an official promotional picture released by the BBC last month. It also matches the style of the new Sonic Screwdriver as revealed at San Diego Comic-Con last month.

Doctor Who production designer Arwel Jones vented on Twitter about this breach.  "Just found out that there's a leaked photo of the Tardis interior, that alone makes me livid! The fact that it's a dreadful photo, taken by someone with no hint of artistry & unlit makes me absolutely effing incandescent with rage!”

Two weeks ago, stills photographer Ben Blackall inadvertently released promotional pictures of the new Doctor Who season on his website. 

Meanwhile the BBC continues their search for the source of leaked footage from Jodie Whittaker’s first episode, taking their case to court.  

I do understand there is a massive appetite for ANY new info on the new Doctor Who (such as, I don't know, WHEN THE FREAKING THING IS GOING TO AIR? C'mon! We need a release date already).  But as a rule, I steer clear of unauthorized releases of info. 

To be honest, I did bend that rule back in June for that leaked footage from Jodie Whittaker’s first episode. At that time, we had nothing from Doctor Who. No teasers, nothing. I was kind of stressing about what is going on with my favorite TV show. So I took a peek at that clip. 

And I felt better. No, I do not support illegal activities or ethical breaches but I have to admit, that little clip was nice. It took some pressure off. Jodie's still in her 12th Doctor suit dealing with some post-regenerative memory loss. She's having trouble remembering something which is right on the tip of her.... and she can't remember the word "tongue". 

While I do appreciate Chris Chiball's desire to keep a tight lock on things and save our wonder and awe for when we see the show itself, I think there should be concern for keeping the lid on too tight, creating undue stress in the Doctor Who fandom and creating a market for unauthorized leaks.  

It's been a few weeks since the official trailer was released and while I want more, I'm OK to wait for the show itself to arrive...  whenever that might be.  

WHEN IS THE FREAKING THING GOING TO AIR? 

C'mon, Chris! At least tell us that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

News of the World: Storms and War and Other Things

Over the weekend, really bad weather hit the mid west United States with tornadoes.  A LOT of tornadoes. And VERY BIG tornadoes.  One really...