Thursday, August 16, 2018

Pet Peeve: Illinois


The correct pronunciation of the state of Illinois is IL-ih-NOY. 

Major pet peeve: People who pronounce Illinois as IL-ih-NOYZ.

The capital of ILLINOYZ   is Springfield in central ILLINOYZ . The state's European population grew first in the west, with French who settled along the Mississippi River, and gave the area the name ILLINOYZ  Country. In 1818, ILLINOYZ    achieved statehood.

See how irritating that is? This is very irritating to me.

Many years ago,  I worked for a company that was based in Chicago. It was quite irksome to me to listen to people in frickin’ upper management consistently mispronouncing the home state of our corporate headquarters.   

I just got the numbers back from our HQ in ILLINOYZ and they’re looking good. Our divisional VP in ILLINOYZ  is quite happy with our results. But I know the big boys in ILLINOYZ are looking for bigger and better things and I know we can do it. I’ll be proud to represent this center the next time I visit the home office in ILLINOYZ.

It’s not pronounced IL-ih-NOYZ, you fucking MORON! 

OK, I wanted to yell that at this stupid person but I didn’t. 
Anyway, just so you know, mispronouncing "Illinois" really irks me. 


And I am so glad my suffering amuses you. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

News of the World: Storms and War and Other Things

Over the weekend, really bad weather hit the mid west United States with tornadoes.  A LOT of tornadoes. And VERY BIG tornadoes.  One really...