Friday, June 29, 2018

Lois Lane Vs. Superman's Mom?!?

Hello! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You! I'm so glad you're here because I'm not. 

In the past, I looked ahead to the future which is now the present and realized, I'm not going to have time to blog. So me in the past (which as I type this is the present) have prepared a series of posts to appear in the future which as you read this is now the present and after you read this, all this will be in the past and you'll wonder why you bothered.

Let me try again. 

Hello! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You! Today, we present another installment of our special series of posts, Lois Lane Versus. 

Today, Lois Lane Vs. Superman's Mom. 

No, not Martha Kent but his birth mother on Krypton, Lara Lor-Van.  

art by Kurt Schaffenberger


Superman and characters with Double L names is a ridiculously recurring trope.  

In "Lois Lane's Romance with Jor-El", Lois travels across space and back in time to prevent Krypton from exploding and becomes Lara’s rival for Jor-El’s affections.

Because... comics.  

Notice the banner that proclaims this story is "Real! Not Imaginary!"  So writer Otto Binder did NOT make this up!  

I would be remiss if I did not address that blurb in the lower right corner.  In "Superman and Batman's Joke on Lois Lane",  Superman and Batman trick Lois into thinking that Bruce Wayne is Superman. She sets out to get to know Bruce better and nearly marries him until Superman shows up at the wedding and she calls it off.

And get a load of the lead story in this issue. "Lois Lane's Super-Perfect Crime" tells the story of how visitors from space make Lois invulnerable to all harm, but Superman still says he has no plans to marry. Lois then disguises herself as Lana and kills Superman so that Lana will be convicted, but fortunately it's all a hallucination brought on by the aliens' formula.

By the way, each of these epic tales is 8 pages long. 

Tomorrow, Lois Lane Versus... something else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...