Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Randie's Turn: Beauty and the Beast

Hey guys! Welcome to I’m So Glad My Suffering Amuses You. I’m not Dave-El, but I am GAY!

(bear with me, that is relevant)

Yep, it’s Randie back again to post something for dad and this time it’s a review of the new live action Beauty and the Beast. 




Now, in scientific terms I am “Massive Disney Trash” meaning I know almost every song front to back and can name the Princesses in chronological order. I also grew up as a very nerdy kid who loved to read and didn’t really fit in. Safe to say, I related to Belle quite a bit and she was, and still is, my favorite (classic) princess. 

So, when I heard about the live action version of my favorite princess who was going to be played by EMMA FREAKIN WATSON I was beyond hyped.

So, now that I’ve seen it (twice) I’m here to talk about what I liked and what I REALLY liked.

First thing that I have to say is this movie is flippin’ gorgeous! The CGI on characters was fluid and nothing moved robotically. Backgrounds were also extremely pleasing to look at. The area around the Beast’s castle was especially lovely. 

Aside from looks, this movie also has its auditory appeal. New songs and great revamps of the classics as well. (Evermore is literally the greatest thing, but I also can’t get enough of Gaston). I’m not as good with actor names as my dad but whoever was playing Lumiere made my entire life with Be Our Guest.  Emma Watson sounded great as well. 
Now, for the relevance to my opening statement. Let’s talk about LeFou. 




So, for those of you who don’t know, LeFou was Gaston’s bumbling sidekick in the original movie. He is also who Disney chose to make history. LeFou is Disney’s first official gay character. I’ll admit, I was worried. I didn’t want this to be bad representation and I really wanted it to be worth all the talk it got in the media. 

While it was certainly not bad representation, it was most definitely not worth all the hype. Lefou is very flamboyant, yes, but he’s not really given solid confirmation of his sexuality until a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment at the very end. That being said, this is a step in the right direction for Disney. I’ve always held a special place in my heart for Disney characters and it makes me so happy to see a character who’s not only better written in the version, but also relatable to people in real life. I mean, we’ve ALL had a crush on someone who doesn’t play on our team. And Lefou is much more than just his sexuality. Props to Josh Gad for making history and props to Disney for this step towards a more equal media world. 

That’s all I’ve got. Dad will be back tomorrow, but for now, be good to one another and remember that Love is Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Down Time

"Blog bidness"? Uh oh!  It's a blog post about the blog.  That's never good.   I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You wil...