Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Two Fisted Tales of Modest Accomplishments




Well, la-dee frickin' da! Look at Dennis the Menace holding up twp (yesm coun them:TWO!) arms while holding a utensil in each hand like a bad-ass. 

Well... woo-hoo. 

OK, after I broke my left elbow back in January (as recounted in exciting detail in last week's posts, Legends of the Fall, Parts One through Five....be the envy of your neighborhood: collect them all!), these simple acts were beyond me.  

I could not raise my left arm. 
i could not hold anything in my left hand. 

In the intervening weeks in physical therapy, I have made significant headway towards these normally modest accomplishments. 

I can raise my left arm over my head with minimal effort now. 
I can grasp things in my left hand but there is still a long way to go before that grasp feels firm and secure.  

I still can't turn my left arm over to hold out an open hand. And my finger dexterity is still very sub-par. It takes me a lot longer and more effort to type things.  

Still, given the broken and bloody state of my left elbow at the time of my fall, I am rather impressed with my progress. I just wish it was easier to type.  

A lot of my progress is owed to a guy named Andy. Andy is a friendly guy with a weird sense of humor but very professional although there are days when he's pushing my left arm to its limits that I think he got his degree in Physical Therapy at the Spanish Inquisition University. Nonetheless, I've grown accustomed to my appointments with Andy and look forward to seeing how far I go each time to getting my left arm back to normal.  

And I'll sow that two arm raising, two hand grasping bastard, Dennis!

That's all for today. Tomorrow, I recount yet another medical crisis that arose over the last couple of weeks.  

And after that, I post on the results of my MRI.  

Until next time, remember to be good to one another.  





Operation Day

Well, today is the day. The day of my operation.  After today, I will finally be the woman I was always meant to be.  Uh oh.  ...