Friday, March 31, 2017

Silver Linings


As of today, I’ve been working with physical therapy for nearly 2 months. My left arm is still limited in motion and flexibility but given where I was when this process started, I’m quite happy with the progress I’ve made so far.  And this physical therapy has had a rather fortunate side effect: I’ve lost weight. 

 

A lot of my therapy involves a lot of activity in the upper body area. From the time of my accident in January, I’ve lost 20 pounds. Part of that weight loss came from not eating. In the days and weeks following my accident and surgery, I didn’t have much of an appetite. I wasn’t getting any exercise; I spent a lot of time sleeping. And when I did get hungry, it didn’t take as much to get me full. 

 

Then the physical therapy began and I began to work my upper body while doing various arm lifts and stretches. 

 

I’m hardly a health nut but I have tried to make other changes where I can. I’ve cut way back on tea and soda. If I get a hamburger at the cafeteria grill at work, I say ‘no’ to the cheese. Just little things to help keep the momentum going. But I need to be careful that I don’t embarrass myself. 

 

The other day, I was in the elevator at work; the door has a reflective surface and I noticed I could see my belt buckle. I was wearing a sweater vest which should be covering that up.  Uh oh! Did I grab an old vest that was too small? Then I noticed something else: the crotch of my jeans was sagging towards my knees. My pants were falling off?!

 

No, I was not alone on the elevator. Thankfully, my pants were not completely sliding off and the other people got off on a floor before mine. As soon as I was alone, I hitched up my jeans and tightened my belt by another notch. Whew!

 

It’s not a super-miraculous weight loss. As my daughter so kindly put it, I’ve gone from expecting triplets to expecting only twins. 

 

Still, from the pain and trouble from my injury, surgery and recovery, it appears I have found a silver lining. 

 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Doctor Who Is On the Way

 The news broke last week at that the new season of Doctor Who will be debut on Saturday May 11th on the BBC. Doctor Who on Saturday as it...