Monday, March 27, 2017

This (NON) Sporting Life: Two Shades of Blue


Today’s post is one I haven’t done in a long while, This (Non) Sporting Life, a blog post about sports by a guy who knows very little about sports.  Today we look at the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. 
 
There is much joy in my home state of North Carolina as the Tarheels of the University of North Carolina (UNC) – Chapel Hill advanced against Kentucky in a hard fought battle that came down to the buzzer. Not quite the thriller from 25 years ago with Grant Hill’s “Hail Mary” pass to Christian Laetner with a mid court lay-up that put Duke up over Kentucky in the proverbial last split-second. But still, very exciting with several reports describing it as one of the best game finishes in NCAA history.   
 
Alas, poor Duke went home early last week with a loss to South Carolina. South Carolina? Really, guys?  That’s like if this happened.  
  • “The Oscar for Best Picture goes to La La Land!”
  • “Sorry! There’s been a mistake. The real winner is… Batman Vs, Superman: Dawn of Justice!”
  • And the producers of Moonlight are off to the side going, “What the F**k?!?!” 
 South Carolina? Really? 
 
As a Duke fan, I know I’m not supposed to be happy for UNC’s success. But I’m not one of those “Anybody but ____” fans. Look, my whole support of Duke began on a whim many, many years ago when I was single where I was trying to get this woman who was a Duke fan to have sex with me.
 
SPOILER: It didn’t work.
NOT A SPOILER: Of course it didn’t work. 
 
But I stuck with Duke because, hey, it’s a solid program and dark blue is my favorite color.  And the Duke Blue Devil mascot wears a cape! A CAPE!!
 
But Duke is out and UNC’s representing my home state so… Go Heels! 

My wife is a Carolina fan so she's happy. She prefers light blue. OK, I will root for Carolina to advance and win the Championship but dark blue is a better color. 
______________________________________
 
We’ll see if my daughter’s Beauty and the Beast write up is ready for tomorrow.
Wednesday, let’s rap about comics and specifically, what’s up with Superman now.
 
Until next time, remember to be good to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An April 24th Birthday Post

I was born on April 24, 1963 which makes me 61 years old today. But I am not quite frankly that interesting and I'm not exactly where I ...